Friday, April 13, 2007

Adding extra weight


I've recently been looking at some of my old N-gauge locos. Armed with the confidence and knowledge I've gained through working on this kit I took apart my
temperamental Farish railcar . Happily I did manage to get it back on its wheels, and it was also interesting to look at a different method of chassis design at first hand.

Anyway, it convinced me that I need to get as much extra weight onto this loco as possible.



I recently bought this lead shot. I thought it might fill various gaps more effectively than a single thickness of lead sheet, and also I didn't fancy cutting it to size.

First I’d like to have some extra weight below the footplate, giving it a lower centre of gravity and hopefully more stability.


There are sections at each end of the chassis that could easily be used.


A simple styrene sheet base with dividing strip to maintain the "split frame"


I glue the shot one layer at a time.


I'd been advised to use PVA glue, but it didn't hold strongly enough so I'm using epoxy.



The boxes on the footplate are straightforward.



The motor itself is fairly heavy, but if I need it I'll also have room for extra weight around the terminals under the bonnet, and hopefully also in the cab to balance it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David Eveleigh did the maths on why liquid lead isn't very heavy (due to all the small gaps!).

I suspect you have enough weight with the liquid lead, but for future use, a foot or two of lead flashing (used in house building) will keep you in lead weight for a lifetime. Easier to work than you might think; I cut it with a sharp old woodwork chisel, hammer to shape, etc.

- Nigel