The footplate overlay etch has to be secured onto the underframe. It must remain flat for a quality result, I’m told. A bad start when I cut it from the etch and it springs into a banana-shape.
Think my best chance of a secure join is a generous portion of Araldite with the screws locating it in place. Once set I check that the sections are still electrically isolated, then have to file away the excess glue squirting out the sides.
I’d filed the PCB footplate side smooth earlier, but now I look again there are a couple of places still looking a bit uneven. I fill these with a smear of superglue and file away when set.
Finally the nuts have to be soldered over the holes in the overlay. Wanted to be sure I got this exactly right so I tried to solder around the outside of the nut with the screw already through it. Hopeless - as I half-expected, I soldered the screw onto the nut. Found it much easier with quick-setting glue. I hadn't really used this stuff in the past, but I'm definitely getting to like it.